Thursday, June 11, 2015

"The Help"

Title: "The Help"
By: Jordan Evans


     "The Help" by Tate Taylor was one movie that I really enjoyed. It had my emotions in a bunch and I even found myself tearing up at one point. The whole concept of the movie was delivered really well. It really opened my eyes to the way that African American women were treated in the South, especially in Mississippi.

     "The Help" involves actresses such as Emma Stone, Viola Davis, Bryce Dallas Howard, and  Octavia Spencer. Every actress in this movie played an important role in the film. Each actress complimented one another and the movie ended up really well. I really enjoyed the role that Emma Stone played as the character Skeeter. She played a character who is willing to risk anything to show people what they are doing isn't right.
     This movie includes an aspiring author(Skeeter) during the civil rights movement of the 1960s. She decides to write a book detailing the African-American maids' point of view on the white families for which they work, and the hardships they go through on a daily.
     "The Help" really shows the the hardships that African American maids' went through during the 1960s. This movie opens the eyes of the audience to show that the families that the maids worked for, treated the maids like animals. They couldn't use the same bathrooms as them, they couldn't speak unless spoken to, they were considered unclean just because they had a dark skin tone. It also shows how different the South was compared to the North. The South was more agricultural while the North was more industrial.  It really showed me how hard it was to be an African American.
          In the entirety, I really enjoyed "The Help". This movie flowed with emotions, and had me feeling some type of way. It wasn't my favorite movie of all time, but it is a favorite. This film was very enjoyable, and I recommend it to anyone. It is a film that just shows the reality and hardship of life.

1 comment: